What is a TF card? There are so many different memory cards in the market today. The options make it hard to decide which type of memory card should you buy that will be compatible with your device. You have so many memory card options like CF card, TF card, and SD card. Today we will tell you about what is a TF card? And the difference between the TF card and SD card.
What Is A TF Card?
A TF card is a very small memory card. It is also called a TransFlash card or T-Flash Card. The card was developed by Toshiba and SanDisk in 2004. In the same year when the SD association became acquainted the name was changed to a micro SD card and TF became an official member of the SD products.
The first TF card was first used in Motorola phones and then as years passed the other mobile companies started using microSD cards. Nowadays the Androids phones are coming with ample storage inbuilt except for a few like Samsung.
TF cards are not only used in phones they are also used on dashcams, flying drones, and GPS devices.
Difference Between TF card and SD card
The difference between the TF card and SD card are mentioned below. With the help of these differences, you can decide which memory card id suitable for your device as per your requirement
- TF card means TransFlash Card or microSD card and SD card means Secure Digital Card
- TF card was developed in 2004 and SD card was developed in 1999
- TF card is 15mm x 11mm x 1mm in size where as SD card is 32mm x 24mm x 1.4mm in size
- The design is different in both. The ribs on the backside of both are different.
- SD card comes with a lock switch and the T-flash card misses this feature. The switch is called a write protection card as on sliding the switch it locks and protects your data from being edited or deleted
- TF cards are from the latest technology called NAND MLC technology and SD card is based on Semiconductor Flash Memory.
- You can use a TF card in the slot of an SD card with an adapter but you cannot use an SD card in the slot of a TF Card.
- TF cards are majorly used in mobiles phones as expanded storage while SD card can be used in many portable digital devices
- TF card is available in sizes of 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 6 GB, 8 GB, 15 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB AND 128 GB
- SD card is available in sizes of 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 6 GB, 8 GB, 15 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB, 128 GB and 512 GB.
- There is a price difference in both cards. TF card is cheaper than an SD card
Read Also: Spooling: All About What Is Spooling
What Is The TF Card Used For?
TF card is used as a memory card or storage card in devices like mobile phones, digital cameras, and computers, etc.
Can I Use A MicroSD Instead Of A TF Card?
Yes you can use microSD card instead of TF card as TransFlash card and microSD card are essentially the same
What Is A TF Card Slot?
TF card slots are small slots given in your mobile phones to expand the memory of your phone. Slowly android phones are giving up on external storage but still, some mobile providers give a memory card slot to expand the memory of your phone
What Does Format TF Card Mean?
Formatting a TF card means the process of preparing your TF card for storing data. It cleans the all information and data on the card and creates a new system file.
Read Also: How To Remove Thermal Paste? 10 simple steps
Flash memory cards are small flashcards that are used to store data and expand the storage of your mobile phones. There are many different types of memory cards like SD card, TF card, and many more. All these come in different sizes and with different qualities. In the above article, we have described what is a TF card?